Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Six Best Gigs of 2010

I'm getting to the point where going to Brisbane by myself for gigs doesn't hold the appeal it once did. Maybe because for the last couple of years a lot of the bands that have come out are recycled, and as good as they once were seeing them now just isn't the same. Then there's Soundwave. The greatest thing about that festival was its ability not only to cater for all genres but for bands who probably wouldn't have ever made it out here without such an offer. That isn't the case anymore, and for me that was a big blow.

Regardless, this year delivered some of the best gigs I have ever been to. Each had their own specific value, but the following six shows were definitely highlights for me in 2010.

6. Kevin Devine @ The Tivoli


He's one of the most poetic songwriters of his generation, but it takes more than pretty words to make a good performance. Fortunately Kevin Devine's radical range of delivery and style is rather unique outside of the folk scene, and raise him above the title of 'hippy playing acoustic guitar in his lounge room'. Kevin played with Brand New, who this time around (my third time) left no impression on me whatsoever.

What I would have done better: Kevin Devine would have headlined.

5. Jonsi @ Palace Theatre



You know it was a great year when you have this guy at fifth position. There is no denying that Jonsi is a genius who has created some of the most beautiful music ever. So what made this gig so special? Everything. The lighting, the costumes, the rest of the band and the unfathomable range of talents they possess, not to mention the people I saw this with. Jonsi's performance is like no other, and objectively speaking I don't think any other performer could have such an impact. Plus, the drummer had a monitor attached to his kit because he had so much going on. Suck on that, drummer from Rush.

What I would have done better: played the entire show dressed as Indians.

4. Sunny Day Real Estate @ Palace Theatre



Another gig I went to in Melbourne, and featuring a band I never thought I'd have the honour of seeing. Most of the band is probably used to playing larger shows, seeing as how everyone but singer Jeremy Enigk is part of the Foo Fighters, but still there was an undoubted feeling of appreciation emenating from the band. It was their first ever tour outside of the US, and since their disbandment they have become music legends. It showed. Four other bands appeared at this gig - RX Bandits, Motion City Soundtrack, Glassjaw and Jimmy Eat World - but it was clear Sunny Day Real Estate caught the attention of everyone in the venue. Jeremy Enigk's voice, a musical style that has influenced so many bands over the last decade, and a simply enjoyable atmosphere made seeing these guys a great experience. Jimmy Eat World and Motion City Soundtrack were also pretty good.

What I would have done better: Sunny Day Real Estate should have stayed as headliners before the addition of Jimmy Eat World. Not that it made much difference in the end.

3. Revival Tour @ The Zoo



Herein lies everything that a gig should be: a great atmosphere, a general feeling of fun, anticipation and excitement and good music. Overall, a celebration. What Chuck Ragan, Frank Turner, Ben Nichols and Tim Barry delivered was extraordinary. Often sharing the stage to share the singing during the more popular songs, seeing all four on stage together was something incredibly unique and thrilling. I was most excited for Nichols, who in the end was the most disappointing, but I left as a fortified fan of Tim Barry. I knew nothing of his work when I entered, but his heartfelt, southern-style ballads were the songs of a man who loves what he has to say, and the audience certainly felt that. I hope we get Revival Tour 2011.

What I would have done better: Ben Nichols should have been more into it. People were shouting out for The Kid but he refused to play it. Disappointing.

2. Silversun Pickups @ Brisbane Convention Centre
I've been waiting. I've been waiting for this moment all my life. But it's not quite right. That's because some morose promoter decided it would be a good idea to have a sensational international band support a mediocre local radio-rock group. Nevertheless, Silversun Pickups performed one of my favourite sets ever. Brian Aubert's energy pulsated through the room as he delivered songs I've been waiting to hear live for fve years, and even Birds of Tokyo fans loved it. Swoon really gave this band the attention they deserve on an international level, but hopefully when they return whoever handles their tour gives them a bit more respect.

What I would have done better: They should have headlined! The Convention Centre was half full when they played and half of the crowd left as soon as they'd finished. Many people were angry because the show started early so they only saw 1-2 songs. I can't blame them. They didn't play Kissing Families. 

1. Porcupine Tree @ The Tivoli



So of course I was expecting something great from Porcupine Tree. They've been around for twenty-three years and they have 61 releases which are all of high quality. What I didn't expect was this. The band came out and played the first disc of their latest release The Incident, a disc which features one 76 minute song, in its entirety. That's something special in itself, but what was even more amazing was that the band had a video accompanying their performance. Often lyrics would appear in the image, and no matter how far into the song the band was they were always in synch. There lies the definition of talent. They then took a quick break and returned to play some older songs, including a b-side which I had hoped to hear but never imagined I would: Half Light. This was my first gig of 2010 and nothing even came close to the level of brilliance and excitement presented here.

What I would have done better: I wouldn't have let them stop playing.

2011 is looking to be a great year for gigs. Bands such as La Dispute, Andrew McMahon, Gaslight Anthem, Polar Bear Club and This Town Needs Guns will be playing, and I'll also be going to Laneway. Will any of them come close to the performances seen this year? Time will tell.

Happy new year, everyone. I'll be watching the Gaki no Tsukai batsu game online tonight, and I hope you all have fun too.



1 comment:

  1. unfortunately I would not have 6 gigs to rank, only 3. 2 were pub gigs and the other was Muse... impressive year for Jonsi to have been 5th though

    ReplyDelete