Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Six Best Films of 2010

The type of films in my list for 2010 varies greatly for several reasons. I didn't see many mainstream releases this year at the cinema, a lot of the films I am keen on aren't released in Australia until 2011 and, frankly, I've watched so much Mystery Science Theater 3000 this year that I haven't had time to watch good features. Now without further adieu I give you the six best films of 2010 (that I saw).

6. The Road


Beyond the fact I'd read the novel and am a big fan of Cormac McCarthy I had little hope for the quality of this film about a father and son traversing the post-apocalyptic USA as they looked for refuge. It didn't matter whether Hillcoat stayed true to the source material or not, I just didn't know how this film could keep people interested. The answer was dynamic visuals, supporting actors whose two/three minutes on the screen breathed new life into the film every time without fail, and two of the strongest leads in a film this year. What's more is the atmosphere: unrelenting, desolate and realistic, it was the very backbone of The Road.

What I would have done better: Less Charlize Theron. The strength of this story is its complete focus on the present, so the flashbacks were nothing more than distracting.

5. Aftershock


Feng Xiaogang is renowned as a comedic director, so the fact that he made the most emotional movie of 2010 is quite surprising. When I saw this there was not a dry eye in the cinema. Literally. Except for mine. Barely. Alright, they may have teared up once or twice. Besides a third act that is at times lacklustre Aftershock tells a personal story with the culture of China setting the perfect backdrop. The earthquake itself is the best ever depicted on film, so it is no surprise that the film was met with controversy in China, where it is taboo to portray national disasters for profit. More than any other film on this list Aftershock is one everybody can enjoy.

What I would have done better: Hired a better Western actor for the scene in Canada. Who was that guy, seriously?

4. Agora


Agora deals with a lot of themes: the rise of Catholicism in Egypt, the value of science and of man, and the position of women in society. How fortunate are we then that Rachel Weisz gives the performance of her career as Hypatia, the female philosopher and atheist whose words, regardless of her gender, were some of the most valued in her time. It's a great historic film that looks fantastic while never becoming epic, which works in the movie's advantage, as the belief that every film of this kind must be large in scale is a false one.

What I would have done better: Made it longer. The subplot that focuses on Hypatia's science ended too abruptly, I felt.

3. Summer Wars



Mamoru Hosoda is steadily becoming my favourite anime director. While the quality of the traditional anime is not quite as good as that seen in the likes of Miyazaki films it is the complexity and emotion found in Hosoda's films that set him apart. A parable that warns of the dangers faced when society relies too much on technology, Summer Wars takes place on two planes of existence. The first, our reality, is portrayed in classic 2D animation with all the vibrancy and depth you'd expect, but the highlight of the film is certainly on the second plane, in the virtual community known as OZ. Incorporating elements of 3D, CG, and 2D on an amazing scale it really is a sight to behold. The plot is engaging, often funny or sad but never slow. All anime fans must see it.

What I would have done better: The start is very sudden and could have used some slower pacing.

2. Inception



I'm sure you expected this. Inception is the only blockbuster I've seen this year, and I believe it is the only 2010 film I actually own. Nolan's film is exceptionally well told, plot holes aside, and though it's only one step up from mindless action (especially in that third act) the acting, the visuals and the awe-inspiring CGI make you feel like you're watching something incredible. Unlike Nolan's other films once the hype dies down the resonance of this film is still strong, hence why it is my number two.

What I would have done better: The plot holes are ridiculous. I was willing to forgive Nolan because I enjoyed the film so much, but if even a few of the smaller ones had been resolved this would have been a much better film.

1. Best Worst Movie

Best Worst Movie is a documentary about Troll 2, often considered the worst film of all time (which it really isn't), brought to us by Michael Stephenson, the guy who played the kid, Joshua, in the film. The documentary mostly follows George Hardy who played the father as he comes to realise the film is a cult phenomenon. The mixed reactions from cast members is a real thrill to see, but it's director Claudio Fragasso's blind belief that he made a great film, that the cast and critics alike are idiots, and that the public has finally realised Troll 2's brilliance that makes this the best film I've seen all year. Underneath it all is a powerful story about how hard it is to make films, but the seriousness of the matter never takes away from the hilarity of watching George Hardy shout at a crowd "And you can't piss on hospitality! I won't allow it!"

What I would have done better: More Claudio! That man should have a whole movie featuring his insane, Italian ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment